Jim Eliff shares some good thoughts on why love is the proper way to handle the “cantankerous” people in our church:
- Love is the highest mark of maturity.
- Love is the perfect bond of unity (Col. 3:14)
- Love is the way of blessing because it is grounded in humility (Phil. 2:3-4)
- Love is the reasonable return for what God has given you (Col. 3:13)
How should we love this kind of person practically? Eliff offers four ways:
- Invite him to your home.
- Try to find out what drives him.
- Within reason, give him some servant responsibility.
- Confront him if he continues to cause problems.
You can read the whole article here.
(As a side note, Eliff’s ministry, Christian Communicators Worldwide, is currently offering a free book to seminary students and first-time pastors. See below.)
We occasionally like to give away resources to seminary students and first time pastors. Students or first time pastors may currently ask for one of the following: Divorce and Remarriage: A Permanence View, OR Wasted Faith, OR Dangers of the Invitation System. We only ask that you commit to read the book. Please write Steve Burchett at email@example.com for ordering details.